Friday, November 6, 2009

Automatic Savings Plan

Saving is difficult, paying yourself first is difficult, and spending less than you earn is difficult, however, I have found the easiest way to trick myself into saving more. I simply force myself to have less money available for spending automatically. Through the use of automatic savings plans set up at multiple online savings accounts and even my investment accounts I am able to pay myself first every Friday after I get paid. My direct deposit happens on Thursday so the money is available for my savings plans to take the money from me first thing Friday morning before I even know it's there. By the time I check to see how much money I have in my checking account that money is on its way to a savings account that I do not have immediate access to.

Out of site out of mind. Online savings accounts are great because they keep the money where I can not quickly access it which helps to prevent impulse buying because "there is no cash burning a hole in my pocket". Reducing the amount of money in my checking account immediately means that I don't miss it. It simplifies saving because I don't have to do anything. This forces me to simply learn to live on what is leftover. My current goal is to slowly increase the weekly amounts I put into my online savings accounts via automatic transfers after I have learned to live accordingly on the lesser amounts. Care must be taken not to go overboard reducing the means I live on to much too soon. The changes should be done gradually starting small, the goal is to reduce my means an saving the difference not burden my life. With the knowledge of living on less I will be ready properly handle money should I get a pay raise or a bonus. Instead of just spending the extra money I will easily be able to add it to my savings and never miss it.

It is a dilemma to make more money with poor spending and money habits, I am guilty of that myself. Far to often earning more money means spending more money, but automatic savings plans are a great way to save and to teach yourself that you can live on less. I only wish I learned this lesson earlier in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment