Monday, December 7, 2009

Investing in Mutual Funds in Health Savings Account

Having a high deductible health insurance plan and a health savings account has proven to be very beneficial to me thus far. I am a healthy individual and the greatest thing is that my health savings account (HSA), which my employer 100% price matches, is growing into a decent nest egg that will stay with me for my lifetime. Recently I have decided to take up the option to invest a portion of my HSA funds into a few mutual funds available to me. Out of about 15 available funds I carefully researched all of them and chose what I felt were 4 winners that were no load, having a great morningstar.com rating, and a prospectus that I found worthy of my money. I chose a minimal amount to maintain in my health savings account that was $1000 higher than the absolute minimum in order to make sure I can meet my high deductible should a medical emergency happen and also in order to help earn enough interest from the savings account to pay the $3 monthly fee. As my HSA savings account grows past my minimum balance the extra money will automatically be transferred into an investment account and then invested into the mutual funds by the percentages I set. Hopefully I will earn a great return in the long run by making the decision to invest the bulk of unused money into mutual funds from my HSA. With a large HSA nest egg in the future I will be able to use the funds to help me as I get older and my health begins to fade. As long as I have a high deductible health insurance plan I can contribute to an HSA. If I build up enough of a nest egg through the use of mutual funds and compound interest even if I can no longer contribute because I switched back to a traditional health insurance plan my HSA should continue to grow. In the future I will still be able to use the HSA funds tax free for medical expenses. It's best compared to an IRA but instead of retirement an HSA is for medical expenses. Although if I really needed to I could pull the money out to use it for non medical expenses or emergencies but I would be subject to taxes and other fees. I will later report how my mutual fund choices are working out and also update in the future my thoughts good or bad on having an HSA.

No comments:

Post a Comment