Monday, December 28, 2009

Health Insurance Changes and my Employers Open Enrollment

I have worked at my place of employment for almost a decade and have participated in their health insurance plan since I qualified for open enrollment. Over the years I have noticed the decline in coverage matched by an increase in costs. Years ago my employer switched to a High Deductible Health insurance plan to keep employee and employer costs low and allow the opportunity to use a Health Savings Account (HSA) in order to cover the high deductible. Earlier this year I decided to Maximize my 100% employer price matched HSA contributions to the company allowed maximum of $24 dollars per week. After participating in my companies Open Enrollment and being informed of a change in insurance provider as well as an increase in deductible in order to keep my cost of health insurance the same. In order to compensate for this increase the weekly HSA contribution maximum still 100% price matched has been increased to $29 per week.

Having not much else of a choice for affordable insurance and being that I am a healthy individual I have no problem with a high deductible insurance plan. I think high deductible health insurance plans are a possible fix for future health insurance cost problems. I actually come out ahead because of my health insurance. The increase in deductible of course will change how much money I have in my pocket next year so I referred back to my write up on Payroll Adjustments for a link to a great tool to find out how payroll adjustments will affect my take home pay. Investing in mutual funds in my HSA as well as the immediate doubling of my money from my employers 100% matching of contributions allows my HSA to grow quickly and any funds that do not get used to pay towards my deductible will continue to grow over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment