Monday, January 11, 2010

My First Semester Back in College After 7 Years

One word describes my acceptance of a challenge I made to my self to go back to school: Success. My plan to attain my a Bachelors of Applied Arts and Sciences in order to further my education, knowledge, and improve myself is well in progress. I have officially completed my first semester back in school and will soon begin my next semester and the feeling of success from hard work and determination is great. I used to hate school when I was younger, but now I actually enjoy the challenge and knowledge I am receiving. Although getting my Bachelors will probably not warrant any increase in pay or promotion with my current employer it will improve my work and overall mood towards life. Succeeding at completing my goals provides me with a great feeling inside, and to me providing better work to my employer and feeling more successful overall is worth the cost of college. During the 2001 and 2002 recession I chose to enter the work force after completing an Associates in my field of interest instead of following through to complete my Bachelors. I did this on account of I had already attained a professional job in the downed market where others were being laid off and struggling to find work. I am now pushing 10 years of professional experience with an Associates Degree related to my field of employment, and I am now pushing to complete a General Bachelors which I feel will allow me to study a broader field of subjects and avoid the focused subject path that a specified Major and my Technical Degree offer. Instead of specializing I want to broaden my skill set to open up future possibilities that could benefit from my growing experience and my soon to be had proper education. I was happy with my Associates until the recession of 2008 started and I began to see the lay offs in my field. I saw people suffer on both sides of the education/experience spectrum unemployed for over a year trying to find work. I witnessed employers lay off those that I know with minimal education and lots of experience as well as those with minimal experience but lots of education. I don't want to experience that problem in the next recession especially if it doesn't happen until I'm much older and more reliant on steady income. The completion of my Bachelors will greatly increase my marketability in any possible future downed markets where employers want the most bang for their buck out of every employee.

No comments:

Post a Comment