Friday, October 16, 2009

I'm Starting to Love my Credit Cards

I am beginning to love my credit cards more and more and I have even ditched the regular use of my debit cards. I am using credit cards more for two reason security and cash back rewards. In order to love and embrace credit cards you must first not be in credit card debt. Learn to control your expenses by identifying your problem expenses with Mint.com and begin to control spending, then use a tool such as Dueminder.com to calculate a plan to pay off your credit card debt quickly.

Now my number one rule for credit cards is to never carry a balance. Credit cards are not a substitute for money that isn't there. I will pay off my credit cards every month treat credit card purchases as if my credit card was a check book, keeping track and only making purchases when I have the cash to back it. With this method I can rack up points and turn them into cash. An added benefit I see for this is that credit cards are generally safer to me than debit cards when used for purchases both online and in person. If you have ever had your check card info stolen you know that even if you aren't liable it is your money that disappears when you are compromised. Wouldn't you rather it be the card issuers money that disappears when you are compromised, that way while you are waiting to get the money back you still have your money in the bank.

I will not use more than one credit card at a time. I am going to alternate my two rewards cards per pay period using one card and then paying the balance in full. Then switching to the other card and repeating. This will hopefully rack up as many rewards points as possible and keep a revolving payment history on my credit accounts for my credit report which I believe is better than a dormant unused account. Once I've accumulated a substantial amount of points I will cash them. An added benefit is that while I am using and and paying off my credit cards I am using the issuers money interest free allowing me to keep my cash I in an interest bearing account earning a little bit of interest before I pay off the credit card balance in full.

In recap for this to work I must have zero credit card balance. I must also maintain proper credit card discipline, a skill apparently not many Americans know or practice. Through the repeat practice of paying off credit cards every month and never riding a balance, I hope to establish a strong habit in controlling my finance. By paying off the credit cards every period I will never pay a cent in interest and I will in turn earn interest on the money I hold in my interest bearing account plus I will earn a small but additional income from rewards points converted to cash. This supplemental income may be small, it will be just a few percent of what I spend, but if I use my credit cards for as many purchases as I can I have the potential to return the equivalent to an extra few weeks pay per year which I can then invest in order continue my quest for wealth.

No comments:

Post a Comment