Monday, October 19, 2009

My Health Savings Account May Really Pay Off

Every year it seems that health insurance costs have gone up and my employers health insurance gets just a little worse. At least that is what I thought three years ago when my company switched from standard health insurance to a high deductible insurance plan with an Health Savings Account (HSA) option. At first I didn't see the value and only contributed the minimum amount to my HSA which surprisingly my employer matches 100%. I regret not maxing my HSA from the start just like I regret not doing the same with my 401K, however at the beginning of this year I decided to maximize my HSA and I am glad I did.

A high deductible insurance plan is a health insurance plan with pretty much the same coverage of my previous regular health insurance plans except that it is lower in cost for me and a much much higher deductible that I have to be pay before my health insurance begins its copay coverage. I like to think of it as my insurance doesn't assist until I've paid a specific amount out of pocket first. This is where the Health Savings Account comes in, an HSA is a lot like an IRA with the way it works. You invest into the account which lasts forever so you don't have to use it or loose it like other medical related accounts. Similar to an IRA the HSA has tax benefits, the HSA has to be used for qualified medical expenses or you face penalties and taxes.

Since the beginning of this year when I chose to maximize my HSA contributions which are 100% price matched, I couldn't be happier with how fast my account has grown. It has reached over $4000 in value and climbing quickly. As for my health insurance I can't complain because I am still young and healthy and so far my medical costs are very minimal so long as an emergency doesn't happen, however, if it does I have more than enough cash growing in my HSA to cover my deductible for my insurance.

No comments:

Post a Comment