Friday, October 30, 2009

Saving More With Free Software

I have found that there is quite a bit of money to be saved for my personal computer through free tools and open source software. By using free tools and software such as free anti virus software other free programs you can prevent the need to spend money or recurring costs for your needed protection and abilities on your computer.

After having paid for anti-virus software every year for many years I decided I would much rather save that money. This led to me trying some of the free anti-virus programs. I tried both AVG and Avira but I prefer Avira, it is very light weight and although it displays a pop up advertising its paid version every time it updates it is a very good anti-virus program. I decided to switch to the free Avira instead paying for anti-virus every year. Beyond saving money on anti-virus I have found some other free utilities that can help keep my computer clean and performing at its best. Malwarbytes and Auslogics Disk Defrag can help keep your computer free of malware and spyware and keeping your hard drive defragmented for peak performance.

As for productivity software I have found that for a spreadsheet program or a word processor Open Office is a great free program to replace the cost of Microsfot Office. I have even had success using the online Google Docs. The savings from these isn't much but when added to my savings plan it will add up in the long run. Every extra recurring dollar I save can help add up over the years. Why should I pay for service that I can get for free.

No comments:

Post a Comment